Academic Decision Making
Saad Al-Kharji – Career Programs and Services Manager – QCDC
Congratulations on reaching this significant milestone in your academic journey! As you receive your high school final test results and prepare for the holiday period, it’s an opportune time to start considering your university options and choosing the right major. Here are some valuable insights to help you navigate this important decision-making process:
Advice for Students Considering University:
- Reflect on your aspirations and long-term goals. Think about the career path you envision for yourself and the skills you want to develop.
- Research universities and their programs to find the ones that align with your interests and offer the majors you are considering.
- Consider the location, campus facilities, extracurricular activities, and overall university environment that best suit your preferences.
- Seek guidance from career advisors, high school counselors, and professionals in the field to gain valuable insights and perspective.
Choosing the Right Major:
- Explore your interests and passions. Think about the subjects and topics that genuinely excite you.
- Research different majors and their corresponding career paths. Consider the skills, knowledge, and job prospects associated with each major.
- Take into account your strengths and aptitudes. Choose a major that aligns with your abilities and has a good balance between challenge and interest.
- Seek internships, part-time jobs, or shadowing opportunities to gain practical exposure to your prospective majors.
Preparing for the University Stage:
- Develop strong study habits and time management skills. University courses require independent learning and effective time allocation.
- Enhance your critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. Engage in activities that foster analytical skills and encourage innovative thinking.
- Build a strong foundation in communication and interpersonal skills. These skills are invaluable for collaboration and success in university and future careers.
- Stay updated with current affairs and industry trends. Read books, articles, and relevant publications to broaden your knowledge.
Programs and Resources for Support:
Qatar Career Development Center (QCDC) offers a range of career guidance programs and services to assist students in their university and career decision-making process, such as:
- QCDC’s Majors Guide, a one-stop-shop for all the majors offered in the state of Qatar, complimented by dedicated sections brimming with advice and information on how to best choose and prepare for undergraduate studies.
- Visit QCDC’s booths at the university and career exhibitions organized by public and private institutions throughout the year. This will provide you with valuable information about your desired university major or the university environment, facilities, and other services.
- Take advantage of QCDC’s job-shadowing programs and initiatives, along with workshops and seminars focused on university preparation, study skills, and career planning.
- Utilize QCDC’s Virtual Career Advising Sessions: the tailored one-to-one sessions conducted by qualified experts in career guidance and development for students and graduates. These sessions provide personalized guidance and support, and allow students to discuss their goals and explore potential academic paths and majors under the guidance and direction of a certified expert.
There is no definitive equation to choosing a university major, as it is a personal journey that requires self-reflection, research, and guidance. Balance your ambitions with practical experience, and embrace the opportunity to explore your potential to make an informed decision that aligns with your passions and aspirations. Best of luck in this exciting phase of your academic journey, and you will always find us by your side along the way!