Career Advisor Training Course (CATC)
8:00 am - 2:00 pm Education City
The Career Advisor Training Course (CATC) was brought into Qatar and the GCC region by the Qatar Career Development Center (QCDC) and is the first customized training course for career advisors in Qatar. The course is powered by Kuder. Inc, a world leader in career planning services.
The Career Advisor Training Course aims to equip individuals with the basic skills and essential knowledge of career advising and planning, and provide them with tools and activities so that they can assist our youth to embark on ultimate career journeys.
The course will be delivered in Arabic from 8 to 12 September 2019, from 8:00am to 2:00pm, at Education City.
And in Englishfrom 10 to 14 November 2019, from 8:00am to 2:00pm, at Education City.
Who should attend?
- Career Advisors
- Academic/Vocational Counsellors
- HR Personnel (especially those involved in National Development Activities)
- Parents (the influence they exercise on their children’s career decisions is tremendous – they can be considered as their home career advisors)
- Scholars (researchers, advanced degree students, etc.)
- Other people with general interest in career development
Objectives and Outputs
- What is the value for the individuals?
- To gain career skills that will outfit them for a potential position as a career advisor
- To gain insight into their own career development and that of their children
- To demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the planning system at their workplace
- To guide and follow through with students or clients after use of a career planning system
- To learn and use technology-based applications that benefit career development
- What is the value for the educational institutions and business?
- To have students who make better informed choices about their postsecondary majors, thus increasing retention and degree completion
- To have students or clients who make better informed career choices, thus increasing productivity on the job and personal life satisfaction
- To have knowledgeable employees who can help students or adults with career choices and planning, through specialized knowledge and practices
- To have employees who realize and are more satisfied with their career choices
- To have employees who can assist clients in using labour market information to filter their occupation choices
- To have knowledgeable employees who can teach clients how to find job openings
- To be able to design and oversee the implementation of career planning services
- To be able to monitor, correct and support career advisors as needed
There are 9 specific competencies to be achieved throughout the training:
- Helping Skills
Proficient in the career facilitating process while including productive interpersonal relationships
- Career Development and Choice Theory
Understand career development theories, models, and techniques as they apply to lifelong development, gender, age, and ethnic background.
- Assessment and Career Planning
Comprehend and use (under supervision) both formal and informal career development assessments with emphasis on relating appropriate ones to the population served.
- The Role of Information in Career Planning
Describe the career planning process and suggest approaches and criteria that will assist in making career choices.
- Ethical Guidelines
Follow the relevant code of ethics and know current legislative regulations.
- Working with Groups
Promote the career development program as it relates to assessment interpretation and job-seeking materials.
- Using Technology
Comprehend and use career development technology based applications.
- Employability Skills
Know job search strategies and placement techniques, especially in working with specific groups.
- Program Planning and Implementation
Understand career development programs and their implementation, and work as a liaison in collaborative relationships.
- Course Agenda
Day 1: Introduction and the Process of Career Planning
- Get-acquainted activity with group
- Overview and logistics of the course
- The process of career planning
- Methods of dealing with the combination of personal characteristics and environmental characteristics
- Work on case study
Day 2: Theory and Assessments as Valuable Tools in Career Planning
- The Theory of John Holland
- Assessment based on Holland’s Theory
- Assessment based on Super’s Theory
- Take the Kuder Career Search and Super Work Values Inventory online
- Discuss participant score reports
- Look at the score reports for the client in the assigned case study
Day 3: Information as a Valuable Tool in Career Planning
- The role of information in career decision-making
- Databases needed to support career decisions
- Sources of career information
- Using information for decision making
- Application to case study
Day 4: Facilitative Skills as a Critical Tool in Assisting Others with Career Planning
- What are the facilitative skills?
- Practicing each of the facilitative skills (role-playing activities)
- Working with your case study (role-playing)
Day 5: Delivering Career Planning Services
- Methods of delivery and how they may be modified with different populations and in different work settings
- Advantages and disadvantages of each
- Steps in planning your method(s) of delivery
- Individual or small-group project
- Online Interface
An online interface for this course will be available via the portal during the course and 6 months after. This is a type of knowledge bank for trainees to use and rely on.
|Khalifa Al Yafei
Director of Academic Affairs
North Umbria University in Qatar
Mr. Khalifa Al Yafei is a Certified Career Counselor with a long experience in the field of higher education. Recently, Mr. Al Yafei got appointed as Director of Academic Affairs and a Lecturer at North Umbria University in Qatar. Previously, Mr. Al Yafei worked as Manager of National Scholarships at Sidra Medicine, a Career Counselor at Penn State University and outreach specialist at Hamad bin Khalifa University. Mr. Al Yafei has a bachelor degree in Engineering from University of Leeds and Masters in Counseling from Penn State University.
Registration and Fees
To register for the Career Advisor Training Course, visit the link above.
Registration fees for the CATC are QR 5,000 and shall be paid online through the above link or by Debit or Credit Card at QCDC offices located at Multaqa (Education City Student Center): https://goo.gl/maps/mXMYxD7LBkaB9Ric7
To ensure your participation in the course, please register as soon as possible.Seats are limited and can only be secured by paying the registration fee.
To learn more about the Career Advisor Training Course (CATC), please call us on: 44546813/44541673/44546815
Or e-mail us at: email@example.com.